Nagasaki University

Introduce Nagasaki University

After a merger with several schools; Nagasaki Medical College, Nagasaki Medical College Specialized School of Pharmaceutics, Nagasaki Specialized School of Economics, Nagasaki Normal School, and Nagasaki Youth Normal School, Nagasaki University was established as a national university in 1949. The university now has three campuses; six out of nine schools/faculties (Education, Fisheries, Engineering, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Environmental Studies, and Global Humanities and Social Sciences) are in Bunkyo Campus, and School of Medicine, School of Dentistry and University Hospital are located in Sakamoto Campus while Faculty of Economics is in Katafuchi Campus. The total number of students is approximately 10,000 including about 500 international students, most of which are from Asia. Bunkyo Area where the main campus is located lies 4 km north of the center of Nagasaki- about 30 minutes away by streetcar or bus. The university is surrounded by useful facilities including shops and supermarkets.

1-14, Bunkyo-machi, Nagasaki 852-8521
Under the National School Establishment Law, Nagasaki University is newly established with five faculties (Medicine, Economics, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Arts and Sciences and Fisheries)
Faculty of Arts and Sciences is relocated to Ohashi-machi in Nagasaki City (today’s Bunkyo Campus) from Omura.
The main campus of Nagasaki University is moved to Ohashi-machi from Kozen-machi.
Faculty of Fisheries is moved to Ohashi-machi from Sasebo
School of Engineering is established. Faculty of Arts and Sciences is renamed Faculty of Education.
School of Dentistry is established
Faculty of Environmental Studies is established. Faculty of Liberal Arts is discontinued.
Nagasaki University turns into a national university corporation under the National University Corporation Law.
Graduate School of International Health Development is established.
School of Global Humanities and Social Sciences is established.
School of Tropical Medicine and Global Health (Master’s course) is established (Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (Master of Tropical Medicine) and Graduate School of International Health Development are merged.)